Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Write Now Exhibit

I attended the "Write Now" exhibit, and I was amazed. There were so many creative ideas in one room! There were so many things I loved about this exhibit. Here are some of the ones that caught my attention:
First, there was a table with papers of letters making pictures. I loved that stepping outside the box and using the form of the letters to make abstract pictures.
I also loved the "safety is not in numbers" collection of words stitched onto military style vests. Those simple words on fabric conveyed to me that all you need to be safe nowadays is a bullet proof vest.
I loved the area full of what I can only describe as "hand rendered trial confessions". They were beautifully drawn with so much detail, and each one used a variety of texts, which looked extremely uniform for hand drawings, to convey a feeling of being wrongly accused.
I was fascinated by the wood engravings, especially since the engraved part was the background! The letters were precise and raised, while it was the rest of the background that had been cut away.
I loved walking by the wall of toll road receipts with the fan. There were hundreds of them, and they did not say much together literally, but figuratively the white wall fluttering and punctuated by black was very powerful, telling the story of the journey to took to collect them all.
I got a kick out of the table with the instructions on how to write an old fashioned text message (letter). It is fascinating to remember how much effort it took to communicate. When I was in 5th grade, my best friend moved to California. We wrote letters every week to each other, and sometimes called one another. Now, if I wanted to talk to her, I could text her, email her, or Facebook her. All without ever buying a stamp. It's scary sometimes to remember that younger generations(than myself) didn't experience this crossing over of technology, and therefore lack appreciation and patience for the time it should take to properly communicate with someone.

No comments:

Post a Comment