Thursday, October 6, 2011

Chapter 1 Write Up



Image #129 -- Page 18

I was really drawn to this image for some reason, I think it might the density of the composition, how it's jam-packed with text and image. I enjoy how high contract the whole advertisement is- it seems like a bunch of monopoly pieces were scattered across the page. I also appreciate using all the different typefaces and morbid imagery, the design is definitely risky and I dig that. I've heard the term "Dada" before, but have never really explored it's proximities- the image has definitely inspired me to look more into the Dada movement. Dada posters seem to have lot's of energy, and rhythm as they're chaotic balance pierces ones eye. Apparently, Dada has no rules on the grid, the text and image are unbound to the page- tearing down the ethics of previous strict-to-the-grid design policies. While Dada is wild and insane, it's also very controlled- you can tell that Dada meant to oppose its past, and to birth a new radicalism.

No comments:

Post a Comment