Thursday, October 20, 2011

Chapter 5 Response


Chapter 5 of our text is all about the use of grids as a framework for designers to organize information.  Grids are a crucial aspect in effectively achieving a sense of visual balance.  A grid framework is an easy way of creating an aesthetically pleasing composition, and their versatility makes room for variety/creativity.  The chapter mentions the importance of proportion in using a grid framework.  The authors argue that it is critical to have an understanding of proportions to create an effective typographic grid because “divided space is perceived as a system of proportional relationships” (94).  As I have said in previous posts, I never really gave much thought to how mathematical and methodical typography is.  Reading this section about proportions specifically has reiterated that fact.  However they do mention that designers most often rely on an innate sense of proportion, which I think is very true.  I also think that the gird itself is a kind of innate system of visual balance for most people.  I think that’s why it’s such a crucial component of design. 
The section about multi-column grids makes an interesting point in that, before any decision can be made about the grid the designer has to consider the amount of text and the context it will be placed in.  I always really like when books have big pages with multi-column and modular grids.  I find them more interesting, and I think there is more room for variety and creativity.  I’m glad that the chapter included the section about improvisational structures.  It seems like a process that is much more flexible, but still adheres to typographic form.  I think improvisational structures are good because their asymmetrical use of space interrupts the norm, in a sense.               

No comments:

Post a Comment