Thursday, October 6, 2011

Chapter 1

Page 12, image 86: I'm not a fan of this extreme shadow font. I think this is probably because I've seen it so tackily (and inappropriately) used, that it just annoys me. I also don't care for the heavy lines and prominent serifs. If I had to change just one aspect of it, though, I'd definitely take away the shadow--it's overdone.

Page 12, image 88: I like this page (from a typographic manual, I believe), because it's so simple, uses a pleasant amount of white space and feels very minimalistic. I probably would have preferred the same dashed outline box from the top to be used on the bottom to carry the design through, but even so, it looks appealing.

Page 16, image 117: I love the prominent dropcap featured in that William Morris page. It boldly goes past 10 lines of text and covers nearly a quarter of a page. It's so decorative that you really don't need any other flourishes for the page to look visually appealing. The style of the illuminated dropcap looks to be woodcut? It's a very interesting letterform, as well. It's a "T" bu could easily pass for a "G", since it is curved and even has a weird serif at the end.

On page 17, image 121, I really like this title. It's so formal and plays with type nicely (title in large caps, sentence case text, italics, etc). It really reminds me of ebooks. I guess with the next step in technology, we're relying on type more than we're used to with physical books. Thus a lot of people are getting creative with using just type for covers and as design elements. Also, I've been reading a lot of Project Gutenberg books, so the language also puts me in that mindset.

No comments:

Post a Comment