Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Response to Chp 3


I have no idea how anyone achieves balance, contrast, harmony and counterpoint in a design. Typography is for people who can think broadly anyhow. Thinking broadly is also an illusion, just like Futura. Human beings can only consider two things at the same time. I know this for a fact because 1) I read it in a book somewhere, 2) I can't consider more than two physical things at the same time myself. Obviously, anyone who thinks they actually can think about three things at the same time does not understand themselves.

Ignoring what people over the years have told me, emotions can only be experienced in binary. All other computations of emotions are incorrect.

I can only think in two ways anyhow: analytically, impulsively or not at all.

So, the answer to letters, words, lines, columns, margins, visual hierarchies, typographic spaces, ABA forms, balance, contrast, harmony, counterpoint, visual punctuation and repetition in design is to throw these contraptions onto a page until they work.

Yesterday, I felt so bothered by my wasted efforts to absorb architectural principles that I yelled (not out loud) at the beams in Ogilvy Station. Stupid buildings. I have wasted so much time trying to figure how these designs operate as mechanical devices.

(Haven't you ever felt like yelling at random buildings before?)

No comments:

Post a Comment