Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Chapter Two Reading Response


        Reading Chapter 2 of Typographic Design: Form and Communication really shed a new a light on typography.  I have watched movies like Helvetica before even bought the book in my ever going typography interest, yet I still found this to be a very informative chapter on typography and its origins.  The history behind type was much more vast than I ever expected.  Before ever getting into type I always just ignored type really, passing it by without notice, now after being more educated in type you can walk around and type can really speak differently.
        I really enjoyed learning about how much type was influenced by handwriting and how the tools of the past contributed to creating early forms of the alphabet.  I have always enjoyed writing with a pen. I have always believed that my first experience in writing where I knew handwriting was going to be something special to me was when I learned cursive.  I loved the writing aspect of writing, what it said didn’t matter I just enjoyed making words flow and blend.  That is where I believe my earliest love for type developed, so I found it fascinating to read about this and how the tools of writing formed type.  The role of geometry in type has also been something that has interested me.  Things like angles and exact measurements are extremely important when it come to typography.  These things matter in type just like negative space matters, optical relationships between letterforms and words are extremely important.  In art negative space, or the white space in simple text, is extremely important to focus on and address.  
        The more I learn about type the more the more it excites me to do the projects and assignments for this class with this newfound knowledge. All together the chapter was extremely informative and really impressed me with all the new terms and facts that I learned about type.  

No comments:

Post a Comment