Tuesday, September 20, 2011

ch2 response

From reading Chapter 2 - The Anatomy of Typography in Typographic Design: Form and Communication, there was a lot of information about fonts that I had not even realized before. Before reading this I had never really read up on typography before. I have always been interested with type and I really think that people take type for granted without really know all there is to it. I mean we see it everywhere and use it nearly every day so I think it is cool to know more about it.

In this chapter it starts off with all of the different definitions to each part of the letterforms. Whenever I looked at type before reading this I had no idea that each letter involved so many different things. Even the variation in stroke weight was something that totally went over me. Now that I am aware of all of these things, I am totally looking at type in a whole new way. Even the typing of this summary, I am still looking at each letter and recognizing the different parts of it.

The next thing that I found interesting in the reading was how some complete fonts have up to nearly 200 characters including capitals, lowercase, small caps, lining figures, old style figures, superior and inferior figures, fractions, ligatures, digraphs, mathematical signs, punctuation, accented characters, dingbats, and monetary symbols. I didn’t even know what most of these things were before the reading. I still don’t know when I would ever even use dingbats, but at least I know what they are now. The entire unity of design in a typeface is also a nice thing to notice now that I am aware of it. It is things like this that totally just goes right past people, when it is a really nice feature for people using the font that don’t even realize the beauty. This chapter helped me realize there is much more to font that I originally thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment